Summer lovin’: The self-care guide for every body
By Ruby Cotton
April 15 2021
Because if you go to the beach, you’ve got a beach body
By Ruby Cotton
April 15 2021
If you’re reading this, it’s too late. Too late to torture yourself over not feeling ‘beach-ready’ because summer has officially arrived.
Regardless of whether you’re in the best shape of your life or wishing you’d worked out a little more this year, It’s important to note that the concept of being ‘summer-ready’ is more about how you feel and less about how you look.
So this year, we’re stepping away from trying to make change and moving towards enhancing what we’ve already got, no matter what that looks like.
After all, your body deserves love not loathing, so we’ve put together a five-step self-care guide to treat yourself from top-to-toe and fast track your way to feeling more confident.
Here’s what you can do now so you can radiate later.
EXFOLIATE: Prime condition
After a long winter, the build-up of dead, flaky skin is real. Start with a full-body exfoliation courtesy of a dry body brush. Next, incorporate a skin-smoothing AHA-based body cleanser into your evening shower routine to eliminate breakouts and unclog your hair follicles. This will also ensure success in the following step...
1. REN - Clean Skincare AHA Smart Renewal Body Serum, $67 at MECCA
2. Sunday Riley Charcoal Smoothie Jelly Body Scrub, $61 at MECCA
3. Goop G.TOX Ultimate Dry Body Brush, $32 at MECCA
4. SUPERGOOP! PLAY Everyday Lotion SPF50+, $110.91 at NET-A-PORTER
HAIR REMOVAL: Smooth criminal
Nothing can expose forgotten leg hairs quite like the sun beaming down on your limbs at the beach. If you’re not a fan of your natural fur and prefer your pins hairless as a dolphin, enlist the help of these tools for a flawless, stubble-free hair removal experience.
For a smooth finish that’s a little more permanent, visit your local Laser Clinics Australia salon or invest in your own IPL home device.
Something to consider: If you’re going down the laser hair removal route, it will require no fake tan to be present on the skin during your session and no sun exposure for up to two weeks prior or following. Be sure to complete each session with a soothing recovery cream to reduce any redness or lingering irritation.
If zero pain is your biggest priority, you can’t go wrong with a trusty razor. Pair your shaving session with a hydrating oil to ensure things are staying silky smooth.
1. Selfie Skin At-home IPL Handset, $349.99 at Adore Beauty
2. Nära Shaving Stater Kit, $85 at Adore Beauty
3. Medik8 Ultimate Recovery Intense, $79 at Adore Beauty
4. Fur Stubble Cream, $56 at Revolve
HYDRATE: Thirsty work
Bouncing between the humid air, sub-zero office air-con and sweltering heat can leave your skin dry, dull and dehydrated. To ensure you’re looking more like a golden goddess than a dried-up crustacean on the sand, here’s how to inject radiance, maintain moisture and avoid cracking dry skin.
1. Kiehl's Crème de Corps Moisturiser, $81 at MECCA
2. Omorovicza Firming Body Oil, $85.78 at NET-A-PORTER
3. Sol De Janeiro Brazillian Bum Bum Cream, $72 at MECCA
GLOW: You’re so golden
If you like to tan, your body is now the prime candidate for an even and streak-free faux glow. Because let’s face it, the only safe tan is one from a can. Whether you want something that seamlessly slides into your daily routine, a once-weekly one-hit wonder or to enhance your natural skin tone with some shimmer, these bottles of sunshine have something for everyone.
1. Tan Luxe The Face Illuminating Self-Tan Drops, $68 at Adore Beauty
2. Elle Effect The Tan, $44.95 at MECCA
3. Luna Bronze Glow Gradual Tanning Moisturiser, $28.95 at MECCA
4. James Read Tanning Mitt, $12 at MECCA
PACKING A BEACH BAG: It’s showtime
We’re all guilty of getting to the beach with everything but the essentials. To ensure you don’t forget any of the must-haves, here’s our list of the most stylish and necessary products you need for a successful day in the sun.
1. Wave Bucket Pastel Pink Terry, $99 at Lack Of Colour
2. The Premium Beach Umbrella 70's Cinque, $299 at Business & Pleasure Co
3. Mecca Cosmetica To Save Lips Sunscreen Protective Lip Balm with SPF50+, $20 at MECCA
4. Kayu Mini Colbie Woven Tote, $139 at Mode Sportif
5. Ultra Violette Queen Screen Luminising Sun Serum SPF50+, $47 at Sephora
Main image credit: Getty
Loved this? Read more from our digital issue.